As Arden is getting older and bigger, I’m wondering if she will outgrow her pack and play that has been her bassinet and crib since she was born. At school, she naps on a floor bed. The times we have tried to get her to nap at home on a floor mattress, she wanders around her room. That was prior to her really crawling around. Now almost 11 months old, she is so fast at crawling and getting around…I’m worried she’ll wander around her room and not get a good night’s rest. But, maybe the ability to explore and be comfortable in her own space is exactly what she needs…
I’m learning so much along this parenting journey! Right now, I’m just trying to read as much as I can in preparation for the next step. Arden is 5 weeks old and we’re managing to keep the sanity around here. Improving our sleep would be a huge bonus for us — so maybe sleep schedules are the place to start.
- TheBump.com: Baby schedules
- HappiestBaby.com: 1st year schedules
- The Baby Sleep Site: Sample feeding and sleeping schedules
- Parents.com: sleep schedule
- A mother far from home: newborn sleep schedules
- Mighty Moms Club: newborn sleep schedule
- Baby Sleep Science
Here’s what we’ll go with when Arden reaches 4 months:
- 6:30-7:00a = wake, feeding
- 8:30a = NAP –> Wake, feed
- 11:30a = NAP –> Wake, feed
- 3:00p = NAP — not past 4p –> Wake, feed
- 6:30p = final feed; bedtime prep
- 7:00p = bedtime
- (9:30-11:30p = dream feed/pump = optional)
- 1:00a (or after, but before 4a) = night feed
All naps < 2 hours
- Establish feeding relationship (lactation consultant, breast, bottle)
- Swaddling, pacifier, white noise
- From 7a-9p: NOT sleep longer than 2 hours at a time. When wake from nap —> 30-50 min awake time (including feed) —> NAP
- When wake from nap —> feed (even if previous feed was <2 hours prior)
- If not ready to feed —> wait 15-30min and try again.
- 30 min before bedtime —> feed baby in well LIT room (keep baby as awake as possible during feed) —> swaddle.
- **Unless absolutely necessary —> avoid changing diaper or unsaddling until morning. If must —> use <15 watt bulb or red light.
- ** Between 4:00a and 6:30a —> NOT enter baby room unless an emergency. **
- 7-14 month old = nap 2x/day (9:00a, 1:30p)
- If eating solids —> breakfast about 1 hour after morning waking. Lunch around 12:00p. Dinner about 2 hours after waking from 2nd nap (around 2 hours before bedtime).
Update: June 18, 2018